Thursday, November 12, 2009

“i’ll never be like MY parents”

My parents went to bed at 10pm.  No matter what.

I had to be in bed by 9pm up until my senior year.  After that I was allowed to watch tv until 11pm.

I couldn’t “date” until I was 16.  Except my first REAL boyfriend happened to be the son of my parents classmates so that was okay.  I snuck in a couple months early.

I was a cheerleader.  I was a track team member.  I played team volleyball.  I was on the honor society and in school clubs.

But if any of those functions interfered with my parent’s bedtime I either had to leave early or I didn’t attend.

Heaven forbid if the BB game went into overtime and my parents had to get out  of bed to come get me.  No.  I left the game early.  The mascot.  Humiliating.

I am now the parent of a 12 and 9 yr old.

My husband wants to go to bed at 8:30 every night.

I understand, he gets up at 5am to be at the gym and then puts in a full day at the office.  I  get it.

But where is it written that a father’s job stops after he’s been fed a full course dinner?

Does MY job stop after dinner? 

No comments: